DEPARTMENT: Public Affairs
POSITION OBJECTIVE: Manage the Economic Analysis Team and assist in management of the Public Affairs Team of the American Farm Bureau Federation (AFBF) in accordance with the policies established by the voting delegates and guided by the Board of Directors.
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Public Affairs
LOCATION: Washington, DC
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Direct the Economic Analysis Team in supporting Farm Bureau policy activities through advocacy, written policy and economic analysis and other commentary.
- Develop team budgets and manage other special projects/studies relating to economic issues important to the membership and the board.
- Monitor markets for agricultural products and oversee the unit’s market outlook effort. Contract with appropriate outside firms to help maintain analytical tools and databases necessary to support the outlook effort.
- Present economic analysis and industry trend briefings at small and large events to diverse audiences of farmers/ranchers, policymakers, media and/or international representatives.
- Represent Farm Bureau at professional and semi-professional economic meetings and other functions to explain Farm Bureau policy positions and gain knowledge about policy issues.
- Respond to media and other inquiries concerning the economic aspects of Farm Bureau policy work.
- Work with various AFBF task forces, study groups, staff committees, working groups and AFBF meeting activities to provide economic input.
- Maintain professional competence by attending and participating in professional meetings, seminars and other activities to improve individual skills and abilities.
Chief Economist will work directly with a wide range of AFBF and state Farm Bureau staff, state Farm Bureau volunteer leaders, other industry leaders, government officials, members of the media and others interested in agricultural and trade policy issues. Maintain relationships with outside consultants as needed.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING REQUIRED:
- Doctorate degree in agricultural economics or a related field
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in agricultural policy field including 3 years management experience
- Demonstrated ability to manage a staff of professional analysts
- Strong industry knowledge is required
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Trade association experience is desired
- Congressional or Executive branch experience is desired
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to travel on frequent basis
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is April 30, 2021.