DEPARTMENT: Public Policy
POSITION OBJECTIVE: Develop economic research, policy analysis, presentations, commentaries and databases on a wide variety of factors related to agricultural commodity markets and agricultural policy.
REPORTS TO: Director, Market Intelligence
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide timely and written economic analyses and commentaries in support of Farm Bureau policy activities for AFBF and state Farm Bureau staff, volunteer leaders and interested people outside Farm Bureau.
• Actively follow current and emerging issues in the sector to ensure that the organization has the latest information available.
• Maintain databases on agricultural commodity markets and generate easy-to-read charts based on collected data.
• Provide economic presentations to state Farm Bureau groups and other audiences explaining the economics of Farm Bureau policy positions.
• Represent Farm Bureau at professional and semi-professional economic meetings and other functions to explain Farm Bureau policy positions and gain knowledge about policy issues.
• Respond to media and other inquiries concerning the economic aspects of Farm Bureau policy work.
• Work with various AFBF task forces, study groups, staff committees, working groups and AFBF meeting activities to provide economic input.
• Work with outside economic consultants on a regular basis and on special economic research projects in support of Farm Bureau policies.
• Arrange conferences and meetings on economic policy issues for state Farm Bureau staff and volunteer leaders.
• Maintain professional competence by attending and participating in professional meetings, seminars and other activities to improve individual skills and abilities.
Economists work directly with a wide range of AFBF and state Farm Bureau staff, state Farm Bureau volunteer leaders, other industry leaders, government officials, members of the media and other individuals interested in agricultural commodity markets.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING REQUIRED:
• Masters Degree or higher in Agricultural Economics or similar field
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• 5 years’ experience in analyzing and reporting on commodity markets
• Proven experience presenting agricultural market and production information to stakeholders such as producers and other business professionals
• Strong knowledge of agricultural markets, production systems, market structures, risk management, production data management and other factors affecting the livelihood of farmers and ranchers in the United States
• Strong knowledge of agriculture and related databases necessary to analyze timely questions on subjects important to the industry
• Strong Microsoft Office skills including PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Visual Basic and Outlook
• Extension or USDA experience a plus
• Experience using data analysis packages such as MatLab, R, or Python
• Frequent travel
• Public Speaking
Please send cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for application is April 1, 2018.