DEPARTMENT: Public Affairs
POSITION OBJECTIVE: Develop economic research, policy analysis, presentations, commentaries and databases on a wide variety of factors related to agricultural commodity market outlook and agricultural policy.
REPORTS TO: Chief Economist
LOCATION: Washington, DC
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Actively follow current and emerging issues in crop, livestock and dairy markets regarding market outlook and analysis, trade, farm policy programs including farm programs, federal crop insurance and conservation programs as well as federal lands issues.
- Provide general market outlook analyses and presentations related to agricultural markets.
- Provide weekly economic analyses, commentaries and social media posts for AFBF and state Farm Bureau staff, volunteer leaders and interested stakeholders in the food and agricultural industry.
- Extensive knowledge of public data sources needed to maintain databases and conduct analyses on agricultural commodity markets and generate easy-to-understand charts, presentations and infographics based on collected data.
- Provide economic presentations to Farm Bureau staff and members, government, and other stakeholder groups in the food and agricultural sector.
- Represent Farm Bureau at professional conferences and other functions to explain Farm Bureau policy positions and gain knowledge about policy issues and market trends.
- Respond to media and other inquiries concerning the economic aspects of Farm Bureau policy work.
- Work with various AFBF task forces, study groups, staff committees, working groups and AFBF meeting activities to provide economic input.
- Work with outside economic consultants on a regular basis and on special economic research projects in support of Farm Bureau policies.
- Maintain professional competence by attending and participating in professional meetings, seminars and other activities to improve individual skills and abilities.
Economists work directly with a wide range of AFBF and state Farm Bureau staff, state Farm Bureau volunteer leaders, other industry leaders, government officials, members of the media and other stakeholders in agricultural commodity markets on subject matter developments, proposed regulations and policies or international initiatives.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING REQUIRED:
- Masters Degree or higher in Agricultural Economics or similar field
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- 5 years of agricultural economics experience and/or commodity market analysis
- Expert Microsoft Office skills including PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Access, and Outlook
- Strong knowledge of agriculture and related databases necessary to analyze timely questions on subjects important to the industry such as NASS Quickstats, FAS GATS etc.
- Proven experience presenting agricultural market and production information to stakeholders such as producers and other business professionals
- Strong knowledge of agricultural markets, production systems, market structures, risk management, production data management and other factors affecting the economics of farmers and ranchers in the United States
- Experience making data visualizations, e.g., Tableau, ArcGIS
- Experience using data analysis packages such as MatLab, R, SAS, SPSS or Python
- Moderate travel
- Public speaking
- Ability to work some nights and weekends
Please send cover letter, resume and a writing sample related to a market outlook for crop, livestock or dairy markets to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is December 17, 2020.