DEPARTMENT: Office of General Counsel
POSITION OBJECTIVE: Advance the mission of AFBF through advocacy, counseling, collaboration, and education on legal issues affecting America’s farmers and ranchers.
REPORTS TO: Deputy General Counsel, Litigation & Public Policy
LOCATION: Washington, DC; eligible for telework flexibility 2 days/week
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide legal counsel, recommendations, and services to AFBF legal and public policy staff on public policy matters. Responsibilities include analysis of legislation and regulations, development of recommendations and strategies, engaging with regulatory and legislative decisionmakers, and drafting rulemaking comments and other policy advocacy communications.
- Counsel for AFBF legal advocacy, including surfacing and recommending cases for AFBF involvement and overseeing and ensuring the quality of work and litigation strategy of outside counsel.
- Organize and facilitate collaborative and educational programs among AFBF and state Farm Bureau staff, including AFBF’s Legal Information and Networking Committee.
- Provide training and informational presentations to Farm Bureau staff and members on legal advocacy and public policy topics of interest.
Maintain strong, positive relationships with OGC, public policy, and communications staff of AFBF, as well as state Farm Bureau staff. Cultivate and maintain relationships with other agricultural and non-agricultural trade groups and other allied organizations.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING REQUIRED:
- Law degree and bar admission.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Three to eight years’ relevant experience with a law firm, federal agency, and/or trade association.
- Excellent analytical ability and oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership ability.
- Experience in environmental or agricultural law, particularly the ESA, FIFRA, NEPA, FLPMA, CWA, and/or CERCLA.
- Experience with Constitutional law and the APA.
- Basic scientific understanding of (or interest in) issues underlying environmental law.
Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.