DEPARTMENT: Finance & Operations
POSITION OBJECTIVE: Responsible for providing financial and accounting support to the Accounting Department for American Farm Bureau Federation and Affiliated Companies
REPORTS TO: Assistant Controller
LOCATION: Washington, DC; eligible for telework flexibility 2 days/week
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare account reconciliations (balance sheet and income statement) to ensure an accurate month-end and year-end close.
- Compile and/or analyze financial information (e.g. general ledger accounts) and research variances.
- Reconcile bank statements monthly.
- Prepare and maintain the fixed asset accounts and administer/trouble shoot the fixed asset application.
- Prepare journal entries/financial transactions in accordance with GAAP.
- Prepare and reconcile intercompany accounts between five entities and ensure monthly settlements occur timely.
- Reconcile investment accounts.
- Review and ensure accurate reporting of donor restricted funds.
- Assist in preparing monthly financial statements for all entities.
- Comply with applicable accounting and reporting rules and government regulations.
- Support month-end and year-end close functions and annual external audits.
- Assist with the timely filing of monthly and annual tax returns (Personal Property, Sales & Use, 990, 1120, etc.)
- Identify opportunities for improvement and make recommendations to gain efficiency and improve accuracy.
- Document accounting policies and procedures.
- Perform other tasks and projects as assigned.
Works with all AFBF employees and communicates with state Farm Bureau personnel and leaders as needed.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent experience working in an Accounting department
- Working knowledge of general ledger/journal entries and generally accepted accounting principles
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in accounting or similar business environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to effectively communicate with all levels of staff and external stakeholders, in writing and in person.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Quick learner, self-motivated, naturally curious, and possess good judgment.
- Must possess strong Microsoft Excel skills (pivot table, V-lookup).
- Able to work well under pressure, detail oriented, deadline driven, and able to manage multiple and changing priorities.
- Experience with Sage Intacct or other ERP financial software
- Experience with trade associations or non-profits
- Occasional domestic travel
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.