Farmers are invited to submit nominations for the 2021 Farm Bureau Farm Dog of the Year contest, with support from Purina. This is the third year of the contest, which celebrates farm dogs that work alongside farmers and ranchers to produce nutritious food for families and their pets across America.
Farm dog owners must be Farm Bureau members to enter their dogs in the competition. Applicants who are not Farm Bureau members can visit fb.org/join to learn about becoming a member.
One grand prize winner – Farm Dog of the Year – and up to four (4) regional runners-up will be selected. The grand prize winner will be featured on American Farm Bureau and Purina websites and social media platforms. The prizes below will be awarded.
Grand Prize Winner
- One year’s worth of Purina dry dog food
- Recognition as the 2021 Farm Bureau Farm Dog of the Year
- $5,000 in prize money to be presented at a Farm Dog of the Year award ceremony at the AFBF Convention in January.
- Up to four (4) regional runners-up will each receive $1,000 in prize money.
People’s Choice Pup
People’s Choice Pup was a popular element of the 2020 contest. More than 100,000 social media followers voted, commented, shared or liked their favorite dog. People’s Choice Pup will return for the 2021 contest, with profiles of the top 10 dogs shared starting in October, with the public invited to vote. Bragging rights and a $50 cash prize will be awarded to the People’s Choice Pup.
A panel of judges selected by the American Farm Bureau Federation shall select the winners. Judging of the contest will be based on nomination materials submitted. Desired attributes in the Farm Dog of the Year are helpfulness to the farmer and his/her family, playfulness and obedience.
Contestants agree that the sole and final judgement as to all matters concerning the contest and interpretation of contest rules are at the sole discretion of the American Farm Bureau Federation, and their officers and staff.
The contest begins on July 1, 2020, and ends on Aug. 20, 2020. Late entries will not be accepted. The winners will be notified via email on Sept. 17, 2020.
How to Enter
No purchase necessary. Written responses to questions and still photos must be submitted to nominate your dog. Video clips are welcomed, but not required.
Void where prohibited. No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win. By entering, entrant agrees to be bound by these official rules.
2. DATES. Judging for the 2021 Farm Bureau Farm Dog of the Year Contest (“Contest”) will be Aug. 22-Sept. 14, 2020. Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these official rules (“Official Rules”). By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to the Official Rules and warrants that his or her entry complies with all requirements set out in the Official Rules. This is a skill-based contest and chance plays no part in the determination of winners.
3. WHO MAY ENTER. CONTEST IS OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES AND UNITED STATES TERRITORIES, WHO ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER AND MEMBERS OF FARM BUREAU. This contest is NOT open to: (a) past grand prize winners of the Contest, (b) employees, directors, officers, agents or representatives of Sponsor or Nestlé Purina Petcare Company, or their affiliates, subsidiaries, or parents; (c) members of the immediate family of any of the persons in (b) above. Notwithstanding the foregoing, persons serving on state Farm Bureau boards of directors and their immediate families may participate in the contest. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren, whether as “in-laws,” or by current or past marriage(s), remarriage(s), adoption, co-habitation or other family extension, and any other persons residing at the same household whether or not related.
4. HOW TO ENTER. Entries must be received after July 1, 2020, at 12:01 am CST and entry will close on Aug. 20, 2020, at 4:59 pm CST, or when 200 entries are received, whichever comes first (“Contest Entry Period”). To enter the Contest, you must: 1) complete a nomination form which includes a written narrative describing how your dog offers companionship and makes farm work a little lighter and recreation time more fun, 2) acknowledge and agree to the terms of an affidavit of eligibility and release (“Contestant Release”), and 3) submit a completed publicity release for any third party that appears in your submission (“Third-Party Release”). Sponsor-supplied nomination forms, the Contestant Release and the Third-Party Release may be found at https://fb.submittable.com/submit/8a21d31f-238d-4dfc-947a-d04fbf117bbe/farm-dog-of-the-year-2021. The winner also must be available to attend the award ceremony which will be held during AFBF’s 2021 Convention in San Diego, California from January 8-13, 2021 (the “Convention”). Prize money may be used to cover the costs of travel. Further information may be obtained online at https://fb.org/2021farmdog.
5. JUDGING CRITERIA. The Contest consists of two (2) rounds of evaluation by judges. The judges will be selected by the Sponsor. The judges will apply the particular criteria detailed on the nomination forms to measure which entry has demonstrated, to the satisfaction of the judges, that their farm dog plays an important role on the farm or ranch, lightening the work load and enriching the farm family’s life through faithful companionship to the extent that it should be recognized as Farm Dog of the Year. These criteria will be used to review the first 200 entries to reduce the number to the twelve (12) most highly scored entries. The winner and up to four (4) regional runners-up will be selected by the judges on Sept. 17, 2020. For the purposes of this contest, the regions are as follows: Midwest Region: Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin; Northeast Region: Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia; Southern Region: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia; Western Region: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming. Sponsor will use the contact information provided in the Contest entry to attempt to notify the winner of the Contest and up to four (4) runners-up on Sept. 17, 2020.
6. CONTEST PRIZES. There is one (1) grand prize winner. In addition, there may be up to four regional (4) runners-up as described in Section 5. The grand prize winner shall receive the following: 1) coupons for one year’s worth of Purina dry dog food up to $1,000 in retail value, based on the weight of the dog, recommended feeding amounts for dry brands and the brand selected, and 2) $5,000.00, which may be used by the winner and his/her family members to attend the Farm Dog of the Year award ceremony at the AFBF Convention in San Diego, California, from January 8-13, 2021. Assistance in arranging travel and lodging is available for the winner from AFBF upon request. Provided the winner attends the Farm Dog of the Year award ceremony at the Convention, the cash value of the grand prize (minus funds used for travel and lodging to attend the Convention, if any) will be distributed to the winner in the form of a check by March 1, 2021 (together, the coupons for dog food and the money constitute the “Grand Prize”). If the winner is unable to attend the Convention on the required dates, the prize will be forfeited, and Sponsor will select an alternate winner. The approximate retail value of the Grand Prize is $6,000.00. Any difference between the actual retail value of Grand Prize and the approximate retail value will not be awarded. In addition, up to four (4) regional runner up winners as described in Section 5 will each win a cash award of $1,000.00 (the “Runners-Up Prize”) (the Grand Prize and the Runners-Up Prize are together referred to herein as a “Prize” or the “Prizes”). Prizes may not be transferred or assigned by the winner(s). RETURN OF PRIZE NOTIFICATION AS UNDELIVERABLE MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION AND SELECTION OF AN ALTERNATE WINNER.
7. ODDS OF WINNING. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received and skill of the entrant.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE. Sponsor assumes no liability or responsibility resulting from any entrant’s participation in or attempt to participate in the Contest or in connection with receipt or use of any prize. Sponsor assumes no liability or responsibility for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences which may affect the operation of the Contest: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any email transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted email transmissions; unauthorized human or non-human intervention in the operation of the Contest, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bugs, worms; or destruction of any aspect of the Contest, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account used in connection with the Contest. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of the Prize(s) or these Official Rules. Sponsor or vendors providing goods or services related to any prizes, including Nestlé Purina PetCare Company, and each of their respective related companies, and all of its or their officers, directors, employees and agents (“Released Parties”) are not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or losses of any kind which may be sustained by entrant’s or any other person's participation in the Contest, or use or receipt of any prize. By participating in the Contest, the entrant releases the Released Parties from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to such entrant’s participation in the Contest. By accepting a Prize, the winner agrees that the Released Parties shall not be liable for any loss or injury resulting from participation in the Contest, or the acceptance, use of any Prize, or participation in any event associated with or comprising a part of the Prize. The Released Parties are not liable in the event that any portion of the Contest or Convention or any scheduled events related to this Contest and the Convention are cancelled due to weather, fire, strike, acts of war or terrorism, or any other condition beyond their control. The winner is responsible for transportation to and from their home and the departure airport or other transportation terminal (if any), checked baggage and other additional fees charged by the airline, ground transportation, ancillary hotel expenses, and all other expenses incurred in connection with their travel or their stay in Austin other than as included in their prize described above. The Grand Prize winner is responsible for any travel insurance related to travel to and from San Diego or related to any travel related to the Grand Prize.
9. CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. Entrants agree that this Contest shall be subject to and governed by the laws of the District of Columbia and the forum for any dispute shall be in the District of Columbia. To the extent permitted by law, the right to litigate, to seek injunctive relief or to make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or on connection with this Contest are hereby excluded and any entrant expressly waives any and all such rights. Certain restrictions may apply. Entries are void if the Sponsor determines the entries are illegible, incomplete, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error, obtained through fraud or theft or do not meet the eligibility criteria outlined above. Participants also agree (1) to be bound by these Official Rules; and (2) that the decisions of the Judges are final and not appealable on all matters relating to the Contest. In the event that the selected winner of any Prize is ineligible or refuses the Prize, the Prize will be forfeited and Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may choose whether to award the Prize to another winner.
10. TAXES. The value of each prize is includible in the winner’s income. Sponsor is required to report the actual value of the prizes to the Internal Revenue Service. The winner agrees to provide his/her valid name, address, and Social Security number to Sponsor for tax reporting purposes. THE WINNER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING ALL FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL INCOME AND OTHER APPLICABLE TAXES THAT ARE DUE IN CONNECTION WITH RECEIPT OF THE PRIZE.
11. RIGHT TO CHANGE, CANCEL OR SUSPEND CONTEST. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, due to infection by computer virus, bugs, worms, Trojan horses, denial of service attacks, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual(s) who tamper with the entry process, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to change these Official Rules at any time, in its sole discretion, and to suspend or cancel the Contest.
12. WINNER'S LIST. For names of the winners send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to American Farm Bureau Federation, 600 Maryland Ave SW, Ste 1000W, Washington, DC 20024. Requests for a confirmation of the winner must be received by March 31, 2021.
Nestlé Purina PetCare promotes responsible pet care, community involvement and the positive bond between people and their pets. A premiere global manufacturer of pet products, Nestlé Purina PetCare is part of Swiss-based Nestle S.A., a global leader in nutrition, health and wellness.
American Farm Bureau Federation
The American Farm Bureau is committed to working through our grassroots organizations to enhance and strengthen the lives of rural Americans and to build strong, prosperous agricultural communities.
Send an email to email@example.com with questions about the contest.